Christian Education for Adults
Parish Hall - Sundays at 9:30 AM
Faith Matters is an ongoing adult formation class facilitated by clergy and guest speakers on a variety of topics, including book studies, Bible study, theology, contemporary society, and more. St. Andrew's is committed to lifelong formation, and this class encourages adults to search for answers to their questions of faith in a context of diversity of opinion. Classes are held weekly with the exception of second Sundays when we gather for fellowship and breakfast.
- February 18 - Carissa Baldwin-McGinnis and Jimmy Grace begin a two-week teaching on sabbath and sabbatical. This first week will focus on Biblical teachings related to the themes.
- February 25 - The teaching on sabbath and sabbatical continues with a look at contemporary expressions in Christian community and what to expect while Jimmy Grace is on sabbatical this summer.
- March 4 - Carissa Baldwin-McGinnis and Jimmy Grace begin a three-week presentation of John Dominic Crossan's workshops on understanding the Apostle Paul. The topic for this first week is "In Search of the Historical Paul."
- March 11 - Second Sunday Breakfast
- March 18 - The presentation on the Apostle Paul and his letters will focus on Dr. Crossan's answers for "How to Read a Pauline Letter."
- March 25 - Palm Sunday (No Education Hour)
Adult Forum, The Gospel and Beyond
Associate Rector's Office - Sundays at 9:30 AM
This informal discussion group meets to reflect on the Gospel lesson and other current topics. With the help of scholarly resources prepared for lay people, the group discusses and learns while growing in God's Word. All are welcome to bring their thoughts and questions to this gathering. Classes are held weekly with the exception of second Sundays when we gather for fellowship and breakfast.
An Inquirers' Class for adults is scheduled annually. This six-week series is open to anyone interested in learning more about the Episcopal Church or being confirmed or received by the Bishop. Our next series will be held from 9:30 – 10:20 AM in the Chapel of the Good Shepherd on Sundays from April 15, 2018 - May 13, 2018. The class covers topics that include:
- The Episcopal Church Q&A, Confirmation and Reception
- The Hebrew Bible
- The Second Testament
- Church History
- The Prayer Book
Bishop Monterosso will be receiving candidates September 2, 2018, at the 10:30 service.
Spiritual Reading Group
The Spiritual Reading Group explores thought-provoking books on Christian spirituality, offering stimulating discussion. The intent of the class is to broaden understanding of Christian spirituality and to deepen commitment to Christian living as we reflect on our faith and spiritual journey. This small group meets on the second Monday of the month from 6:30 to 8:30 PM at St. Andrew’s House. If you are unable to attend, you can participate by joining the SAEC Spiritual Reading Group Facebook group for a monitored discussion.